Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need any questions answered?
DreamStation.cc Forums > Online Games > Phantasy Star Universe / Phantasy Star Online
Pages: 1, 2
Lyric
Like the topic says, I'll pretty much answer any questions you might have for PSU. Including how things work, what to expect in future updates (I AM playing the JP version after all), and more.

Got a question? Just ask away.
omega71
I do...How do you find time to play games all day and have a normal love life? Is there a seperation between the two?? tongue.gif tongue.gif

All kidding aside, what level would be good to start grinding weapons? I have a metric crudton of materials, and like 3 gridboards, I am level 6, and would like to start grinding...but dont know how or when would be a good time to start
Lyric
When you should grind? Whenever you feel that you need more pwoer, but lack meseta to buy new gear. Grind up your 3 star C weapons. They are ALWAYS good weapons to grind out.

How to grind: You need grinder parts and boards that synthesize grinders. Each board can create up to 10 grinders. The result you get is random, from +1 to +10. All those numbers denote, is success modifier. Once you have your grinders, take them and teh weapon you want to grind to a specific shop, depending on the weapon. So wherever your weapon was made, go to that shop.

Factors that determine grind success, are the grinders you use, and the level of luck (more on that below) you have, denoted by the stars next to your name. Just make sure you don't use a grinder +10 unless its on a weapon that is +8 or +9.

4 levels of luck, in the form of nothing, stars, lots of stars, or a giant orange star. Luck is useful as it determines grind rates, synthesis end results, drop rates, rare enemy appearance rates, and other things. Don't ask how you get them, it changes every 24 hours and is completely random by race and class.

By the way, if this is like the Japanese version, I suggest you grind NOW, and create tons of grinders soon. Since a later patch will reduce the rate of creating a grinder higher than 5, and grind rates drop significantly down.
Knightsword
in case of c-rank grinder boards its 5 grinders that they make and can be up to +10. Also wait till its your luck day to synth and and grind to get better a chance. Also high the grinder + the better chance you have along with luck bonus at the grinding working.
Valwyn
At what level to you get the old "Reverser" tech for Forces? errr Where can you get the new Reverser at? Actually, looks like it was swapped with Anti and Reverser now just cure status ailments.
Lyric
Reverser is Regene in the Japanese version. Quite frankly, its the easiest tech to level too. The "old" Reverser, is called GiResta. Very powerful, it heals, it revives and it causes a regeneration state.

Problem: It's not released online yet. Even in the Japanese version its not there. But We're most likely getting it next week. So to answer your last question, not sure when you guys will even get it.
Raven
I have a question for you. Not really about the game, but about item distrubution.

What do you consider the most fair setup as far as items go? Because I have been leaving it at the default "Give Finder" but that seems to favor those that head straight for items, pick up after someones kill, etc.

I heard a rumor that most JP games are played like...

Rare Item Distrubution: Random
Non-Rare Distrubution: Set in Order

Which seems pretty fair to me. Just wondering what your opinion is.
Lyric
QUOTE(Knightsword @ Oct. 27, 2006, 02:02 AM)
in case of c-rank grinder boards its 5 grinders that they make and can be up to +10. Also wait till its your luck day to synth and and grind to get better a chance. Also high the grinder + the better chance you have along with luck bonus at the grinding working.

That's partially true. Luck has nothing to do with success rates. Just the outcome.

Raven> That's the way we do things with those settings. Or you can set non-rares to random too.

edit: I thought you were talking about synthing weapons. My mistake. Grand rates, as I already mentioned, do go up with luck.
Erickarim
i seem to not walk as fast as the rest of the croud.... tongue.gif but im wasd'ing tongue.gif is it cause im a force ??? can i use a grinder to up my walking speed. is there a tech that gives me rollerskates? if i take out my shift but leave the "lines" on. do the lines still give you boost? by lines i mean the shiny lines that run trough the suit. when i get more powarfull spells.. rabata is ok. but razonde sucks. whats the tech with best spam range. cause i been doing a loot of healing lately so i need a good. hit everything spell.
Lyric
If you're not walking as fast as the rest of the crowd on a keyboard, you REALLY need to turn down your graphical settings.

The lines are just an indication of armor. They're there if y ou have armor equipped, the color represents the element.

Finally, Spells. Just use them all, they get stronger as you use them. Barta takes forever to level, but it is used for easy tagging, Diga is your strongest spell period. Just use them all and find out which you like best. Remember, like Skill arts, Technic arts do evolve every 10 levels, so at 11, and 21 (when they uncap it).

As for the healing thing, you're probably getting good resta experience. But don't let that get in the way. Tag the enemies first, THEN heal everyone. Your party members can hold 20 of each kind of mate too, so let them cut into that. If they have mates and they still die, then they're relying on you far too much. As a result, the day you guys get the S level missions, your party won't survive.
ChronoTrigga
Oh and if you have the control setup like a PS2 controller (which is what I have it like) hold in the action pallette button you use, then press the button that centers your camera and it quick switches between items.
psotrunks
anyone know the best game controller to use with this (for pc)? i have one but its old, so i'm about to go out and get a new one..
ChronoTrigga
Buy one of those controls from wal-mart that look like PS2 controllers they work, that's what I got, plus it has rumble.
Lyric
Personally, I prefer a real PS2 controller with a USB adaptor. OF all the things that Sony makes, the Dual Shock 2 controllers are voted least likely to break.
Knightsword
True enough, logitec cant make a controller worth a ####, you can find the ps2 to usb adaptors at radioshack or online
omega71
I had the "wading" problem as well...I found a neat little trick that was found on the Penny Arcade forums...with this trick you can have the graphical settings up pretty high too...

set your frame skip to 3....thats it...i did that, and now i am not lagging behind, and everything is 100 thousand times faster, and i have my graphics pumped full blast at 1024x768
psotrunks
thanks for the info guys, i'll look into it tomorrow.
Lyric
QUOTE(omega71 @ Oct. 28, 2006, 06:34 PM)
I had the "wading" problem as well...I found a neat little trick that was found on the Penny Arcade forums...with this trick you can have the graphical settings up pretty high too...

set your frame skip to 3....thats it...i did that, and now i am not lagging behind, and everything is 100 thousand times faster, and i have my graphics pumped full blast at 1024x768

Frame skip to 3? Yuck. But if it works for you it works for you. Once you get it running at 0 frameskip, you NEVER want to turn it off.
Raven
QUOTE(Lyric @ Oct. 28, 2006, 07:02 PM)
QUOTE(omega71 @ Oct. 28, 2006, 06:34 PM)

Frame skip to 3? Yuck. But if it works for you it works for you. Once you get it running at 0 frameskip, you NEVER want to turn it off.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't turn the LODs higher then 32? I run everything maxed out, and the game looks good, but I was wondering what those were for. They default at 32 when you click high end graphics. What happens when you go higher?
Lyric
The sliders affect your quality. The stuff like LODs and whatnot affect your draw distance, the number of models it loads oncreen, etc.
ngski
I'm having problems with my Intel video 915 on my laptop. Just get the menu screen. I have more then enough processor and memory. Any suggestions ??
Lyric
I believe its because there's no real support for Intel chipsets. I'm not sure how a 915 stacks up, but its gotta be equivalent to a GeForce 4 series card for it to even run.
Erickarim
witch is not/. so sorry.
omega71
how do you take boards out of your pm, i didnt realize it and i have like 4 monomate boards in my pm and i really dont need that many
ChronoTrigga
Use them up. Boards usually have about 5 or more uses per board. So once you use it up, it's gone.
ChronoTrigga
Now I have a question. How do I set up shop? And does it cost anything? o_O
Raven
You have to buy a "Shop Open" reform ticket. I believe they run about 15k.
ChronoTrigga
eww.
psotrunks
so i have the game on my computer, that's all good, but when i go to offline story mode i have MASSIVE slow mo issues. the movies at the beginning are beautiful, but as soon as it gets to the scenes with ethan, its choppy and slow...same applies to when i'm actually controlling him too. my computer meets every requirement, i've tried adjusting all the settings to the lowest quality, i've tried turning off my firewall and my antivirus but nothing works sad.gif

i want to make sure it works first before i pay to get online ph34r.gif
Redeema
After seeing how many of my old friends were playing on the PC version, I've been thinking about getting PSU for play on my laptop, but now I see all kinds of you guys having framerate problems and this or that, so I think if I get it at all, it's going to have to be for the 360. My laptop is less than a year old, and supposedly is made for gaming, but I'd rather not have any problems in the long term like some of you guys.

===> Back to your regularly scheduled topic.
Lyric
QUOTE(psotrunks @ Oct. 29, 2006, 07:20 PM)
so i have the game on my computer, that's all good, but when i go to offline story mode i have MASSIVE slow mo issues. the movies at the beginning are beautiful, but as soon as it gets to the scenes with ethan, its choppy and slow...same applies to when i'm actually controlling him too. my computer meets every requirement, i've tried adjusting all the settings to the lowest quality, i've tried turning off my firewall and my antivirus but nothing works sad.gif

Post your system specs.
omega71
QUOTE(Redeema @ Oct. 30, 2006, 01:53 AM)
After seeing how many of my old friends were playing on the PC version, I've been thinking about getting PSU for play on my laptop, but now I see all kinds of you guys having framerate problems and this or that, so I think if I get it at all, it's going to have to be for the 360. My laptop is less than a year old, and supposedly is made for gaming, but I'd rather not have any problems in the long term like some of you guys.

===> Back to your regularly scheduled topic.

Red, I have a four or five year old computer with a year and a half old graphics card that is highly out of date...and i am running it a full graphical capabilities..Alot of the problems are easily solvable, but since the game is new noone knows how to yet...I say get the PC version and play with all of us instead of the one other person that has the 360 version
psotrunks
QUOTE(Lyric @ Oct. 29, 2006, 09:02 PM)
QUOTE(psotrunks @ Oct. 29, 2006, 07:20 PM)
so i have the game on my computer, that's all good, but when i go to offline story mode i have MASSIVE slow mo issues. the movies at the beginning are beautiful, but as soon as it gets to the scenes with ethan, its choppy and slow...same applies to when i'm actually controlling him too.  my computer meets every requirement, i've tried adjusting all the settings to the lowest quality, i've tried turning off my firewall and my antivirus but nothing works sad.gif

Post your system specs.

Windows XP
AMD Athlon 64
2.41 GHz
384MB Ram
Direct X9
SiS 760 128 MB
195 GB free space
Knightsword
get more ram
psotrunks
think 512 mb would be enough?
Trunks
QUOTE(psotrunks @ Oct. 29, 2006, 09:47 PM)
think 512 mb would be enough?

that be plenty i would hope.
Lyric
QUOTE(psotrunks @ Oct. 29, 2006, 08:25 PM)
Windows XP
AMD Athlon 64
2.41 GHz
384MB Ram
Direct X9
SiS 760 128 MB
195 GB free space

Your RAM is ok, more wouldn't hurt it. BUt your video card is what's hurting the performance. With your current setup, you need to change your frameskip to 2 or 3 and put it on low. That should fix it. The reason being the Video card. SiS 760 isn't exactly what PSU wants to see.
Takeo Rey
Is there a beginners guide somewhere because even after the tutorials, I'm still quite a bit lost. I feel like a noob and that sucks...
ChronoTrigga
Is there only one photon art per weapon? If so, they need to change that. o_O
Lyric
QUOTE(ChronoTrigga @ Oct. 30, 2006, 12:11 AM)
Is there only one photon art per weapon? If so, they need to change that. o_O

3 arts per weapon. But 2 of them are locked. And will show up at Sega's discretion.
omega71
How do I switch back and forth between classes, I just recently changed over to Force, but want to keep leveling my HUnter for a bit...When I switch back do I lose my ability to use a wand?
Raven
If you open a store, can you see who comes in and what they buy?
Lyric
To the class switching, yes, you lose that ability if you go back.

To the store issue, if you're in your room, you can see who's there. But you can't see what they bought.
psotrunks
QUOTE(Lyric @ Oct. 30, 2006, 12:09 AM)
QUOTE(psotrunks @ Oct. 29, 2006, 08:25 PM)

Windows XP
AMD Athlon 64
2.41 GHz
384MB Ram
Direct X9
SiS 760 128 MB
195 GB free space

Your RAM is ok, more wouldn't hurt it. BUt your video card is what's hurting the performance. With your current setup, you need to change your frameskip to 2 or 3 and put it on low. That should fix it. The reason being the Video card. SiS 760 isn't exactly what PSU wants to see.

Went out and get a Radeon 9250 256 MB drive and it works BEAUTIFULLY now..thank you!

Too bad I gotta go to school now, or else i'd be playing dry.gif
HDG
No one wants to buy your stuff anyways Rav tongue.gif JK. We still gotta meet up and play man, still dont have your card either.
Knightsword
QUOTE(psotrunks @ Oct. 30, 2006, 12:03 PM)
Went out and get a Radeon 9250 256 MB drive and it works BEAUTIFULLY now..thank you!

Too bad I gotta go to school now, or else i'd be playing dry.gif

glad you got a great card but on a side note, that card hasn't been supported by ATI for over a year now, along with these cards:

* Radeon® 9250 series
* Radeon® 9200 series
* Radeon® 9000 series
* Radeon® 8500 series
* Radeon® 7500 series
* Radeon® 7200 series
* Radeon® 7000 series

Now I have a question, do crafted armors have a random slot selection, or are they static, and if so would you know what Assino-senba, Cresline, and Gigaline have for slots?
Lyric
Just use the Omega-drivers on those cards, who needs ATI support?

As for the armors, Slots are static. Doesn't matter how you got it, you won't see a change to it at all. As for the armors you listed, avoid the Cresline like the plague, no slots at ALL. Gigaline should have 3 slots to it though. The question is, since your game is capped at its current point, can you build it?
Knightsword
the boardsare available at the synth shop's for their respective planets, and the mats are available through various means.

now for my next question are remodeling tickets one time use?

edit- nevemind found the answer, yes they do
Lyric
I didn't mean my building comment like that. Gigaline and anything past it are notorious for their low success rates. Unless you have a PM devoted to armor, good chance you're going to spend a ton of money on it. Believe me, I know, I failed my gigaline twice, got it on the third (39%).
Knightsword
then I'll keep using my Ageha-senba (with sta / mind, mega / wall, and me / hp restore biggrin.gif) untill I can find an armor crafter
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.