Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Mortal Kombat movie.
DreamStation.cc Forums > General > General Discussion
Hucast
This was going around twitter this morning.

You may recognize Black Dynamite and Jeri Ryan in there. And if you don't, seriously, do yourself a solid and see Black Dynamite. Turns out it's a proof of concept type thing from director Kevin Tancharoen (Fame remake) and fight choreographer Larnell Stovall (the apparently quite good Undisputed 3). I guess WB is putting together a new movie and Tancharoen wants the job. I can't decide if this is too stupid or just stupid enough.
Redeema
I'm in. I'll be first in line for this.
omega71
I will cut in front of Red to be the first in line for this.
Hucast
Interview with the director at Collider. I dodn't care enough to read it, but they've helpfully provided bullet points up front. Basically, dude really wants the job.
Redeema
It would, at least partially, go along with the 'return to its roots' new MK game they announced.
iamprince
Hucast
So...yall are ok with Reptile as a serial killer with some weirdo disease and what's his name gettin all Wolverined? Or was that actually in the game's story? I'm not even going to pretend to know the game's story beyond "Enter The Dragon, but a game". I'm just sick to death of "gritty realism" and origin stories. Especially origin stories. You know why the second entry in every modern superhero franchise is the best? Cuz there's no longer an obligation to retell the origin of every little detail. I don't know, this is an elaborate resume, but if this ends up being the concept behind the movie, man, I just do not give a ###### about how these kung-fu monsters became kung-fu monsters.
iamprince
I wouldn't mind if the movie took a turn towards Se7en, but I I feel that the chances are slim. Trying to dive into the psyche of some characters treating them as if they were maniacs would be a good time, if this was more a long the lines of a thriller and not a kung-fu movie. The trailer gave off some weak vibes for me though with the lame RE:Apocalpse soundtrack rip, and the need to use bad catchprases. I defintey agree about origin stories losing any real umph, they usually lack any real deviation from the cut and dry pattern.
Hucast
The logical conclusion.

Redeema
Comic books might be different because they have clear origins as defined by hundreds of issues over the course of several years. These games had only a tiny sliver of backstory that was thrown in between Fatalities and Friendships/Babalities. I just like that it's not super happy and bright colors, rated PG-13. The original games weren't all vivid with their color palettes. Just give me something that might have come from the minds of Boon and Tobias and I'll be happy.

And not for nothing, but I'd much rather see this than the eventual remake of craptastic 80's movie. Made even more craptastic this time around.
omega71
So remember when we all thought this was a movie, and I was going to beat the crap out of Red to steal his place in line?

Yea it isnt..

Warner Bros has unveiled the first episode of "Mortal Kombat: Legacy," the digital series directed by Kevin Tancharoen (Fame). Watch the entire 12-minute episode below.

"Mortal Kombat: Legacy" is a collection of nine live-action shorts, and brings to life the motivation behind each character's participation in the Mortal Kombat tournament.

The series stars Jeri Ryan ("Star Trek: Voyager) as Sonya Blade, Michael Jai White (The Dark Knight) as Jax and Darren Shahlavi (300) as Kano.

Read more: http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?...0#ixzz1JJAjNyCX

Hucast
That was terrible and I regret half-watching it.
AlexMurphy
Didn't like the first episode. And the second. And all of them.
bOb
I watched the first episode and never watched anymore.
AlexMurphy
QUOTE(bOb @ Sep. 3, 2011, 08:08 PM) *
I watched the first episode and never watched anymore.

Good for you. Really terrible "masterpiece" of ...))
AliTheGreat
New MK game is awesome. New MK movie is terrible. sick.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.