Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 'The Walking Dead' Discussion - Season 3
DreamStation.cc Forums > General > General Discussion
Redeema
The Walking Dead is a new show on AMC of all channels (yes, the same AMC that shows Mad Men), but this show is about zombies. Quick synopsis:

AMC Upcoming Original Series: The Walking Dead
AMC has greenlit The Walking Dead as a six-episode series based on the comic book written by Robert Kirkman and published by Image Comics. The Walking Dead tells the story of life following a zombie apocalypse. It follows a group of survivors, led by police officer Rick Grimes, traveling in search of a safe and secure home. Andrew Lincoln (Love Actually, Teachers, Strike Back) will portray the lead role of Rick Grimes while actor Jon Bernthal (The Pacific, The Ghost Writer) will portray the character Shane, who worked with Rick in the police department before the zombie disaster. Other cast includes Laurie Holden (The Shield), who plays Andrea, one of two sisters who join the survivors of the zombie plague, Steven Yeun as Glenn, an expert scavenger and Sarah Wayne Callies (Prison Break), who plays Rick's wife Lori.

The Walking Dead begins production in June in Atlanta with six, one-hour episodes for season one. The series is set to premiere in October 2010 during AMC Fearfest, the network's annual blockbuster marathon of thriller and horror films. AMC announced development of The Walking Dead in August 2009 and announced the pilot in January of this year.
Time to get a new favorite show and this has lots of potential.

Check out the show trailer here: AMCtv.com
Hucast
I STILL haven't started Mad Men, I'm like six episodes behind on True Blood, about to get into Boardwalk Empire...

No, unless it turns out to be amazing (so tell me if it is) I don't think I've time for this.
omega71
You will make time for this, the comics themselves are amazing, and I have nothing but good feelings about this show.
Hucast
But I've heard the books were only ok. Zombies are just pretty played out at this point and nothing about this concept sounds all that original. Also that man looks like Viggo Mortensen but is not Viggo Mortensen.

In other comics news,

- I bought a Dethklok comic book last night. Kind of excited about that.

- Did anyone read Red? I saw the movie a few days ago and had no idea it was a comic until the DC logo and Warren Ellis' name popped up.
omega71
I read Red a while back and its pretty decent. I only want to see the movie to satisfy my unnatural lust for Helen Mirren.
Hucast
If that's your only interest in it you won't be disappointed, she was quite the badass. It was decent overall, it's really goofy and unrealistic and full of terrible one liners, but still kinda fun. John Malkovich made the whole thing worthwhile.
Redeema
Why was this closed? Anyway, I reopened it. AMC is running a contest, it's only got two weeks left, but figured I might go for broke and try to Spread the Dead click on my linky please

Did we like the show or not? It's On Demand for anyone who missed it you can watch it the day after it airs.
bOb
I loved it. biggrin.gif
Redeema
New episode tomorrow night. I thought it was a really good show. If they don't eff it up it'll be the show I use to replace 'Lost'. I can't believe how much they let them get away with, it's actually really surprising that they allow for violence towards children, even if they're zombie children.

I've always wondered how I would react in a situation like that. I'd like to think I'd be great thinking of all these ways to kill zombies and whatnot, but factoring in the human, or once human and a loved one element is something completely different.

I score the premiere a 9.5. Everything you want in a zombie movie/show. Human characters that you care about, lots of zombies, atmosphere, tension, drama. Win, win, win. We'll see how long they can sustain the momentum before jumping the zombie shark.
omega71
I liked the show alot, and so far it followed the comic somewhat well. I know the writers are changing a few things around to keep the comic readers surprised, and hopefully they dont mess that up too much.

But yea, I am a fan, and like Red said, this will be my LOST replacement for now.
ChronoTrigga
Can't wait for tomorrows episode, I've been waiting like a month to watch it because the first 1 leaked early. And I have yet to find a show to replace Lost, much like Conan O'brien.
bOb
Yeah I'll be watching this tonight as it airs. biggrin.gif
Btw Chrono you should totally fix your avatar and sig.
omega71
So tonites episode was pretty awesome.

I hope they dont mess up with Dixon's Hand, he loses it so he can get free from the handcuffs
Redeema
Yup good stuff. Dudes wife is a dirty skank.

I did enjoy the 'disguise', it was something far different from what I've seen in other zombie fare, so at least they're not going with the standard stuff. Also, plenty zombie killing always a plus.

I thought this was going to be mostly about how his wife and kid were always one step ahead of him and how he keeps chasing after her, but it looks like they might reunite in the next episode. I'm rewatching it right now. I kept wanting him to use the grenade for massive damage. I thought there were plenty of chances for mass zombie casualties, but alas I guess they want to save those moments for special episodes.
omega71
I actually hate the wife already, in the comic she is just a brooding sad chick, which makes her a somewhat likable character, in the show she is a huge giant slut that looks like Demi Moore.

I am ok with what will happen to both her and Shane, if they dont change that around as well.
Redeema
Hey, if I want to buy the graphic novels, do I go with Book 1 or 2 collection or do I check out the compendium? New episode tonight. We can discuss afterward.
ChronoTrigga
I got all 78 issues. Been readin through em off & on in between episodes. Good ish.
Redeema
Only two more episodes left this season!?! I don't think they expected this show to be as big as it seems to have gotten, hence, why they only ordered six episodes. Though, right after the first one aired they immediately ordered twelve more for season two.

A little unexpected twist this past episode, I thought they were going to completely stereotype my people and they ran a misdirect and fooled me completely. They also killed the only person worth looking at, the younger sister, now it's a bunch of dudes and the two timing wife. Supwiddat? Oh, and I keep waiting for Sheriff to use that grenade that he found in the tank, I would've used it long ago.

Another thing, why not build some booby traps around camp? I know they had a string with cans, but come on. Only place to be would be on some sort of boat in the middle of that lake or in some body of water. Seems like a safe bet.
omega71
Man I am hella disappointed with the way they did this episode. I mean, I understand, and realize they arent cut copying the comic, and are adding new stuff..BUT...to leave out almost six issues worth of stuff including a major death, is just beyond me.

In the comic, after they leave Jim to rot, they go back on the road, in one of the mornings, Rick and Shane go off to find food, get into an argument over Lori and Carl being the badass he is shoots Shane square in the neck, killing him.

That is how it should have been, not lets skip the entire road trip and go straight to the CDC which is a totally minor if not one page in the comic.

I swear, if the Prison, and Shane's death do not happen next season I will be somewhat ######.
Redeema
Can't wait for season two. Though I thought this episode was a little weak. I just get mad because I feel like if I were in their position I'd be looking for a more sturdy ride. Armored car is up at the top of my list. I'll be picking the blurays either way.
bOb
Yeah great series can't wait for the next season.smile.gif
vibra6
QUOTE(omega71 @ Oct. 10, 2010, 08:59 PM) *
I read Red a while back and its pretty decent. I only want to see the movie to satisfy my unnatural lust for Helen Mirren.

I couldn't agree more. LOL Helen Mirren rocks
Redeema
Action figures announced by McFarlane. DVD/Bluray boxset is out. Season two coming. This thread has been "walking dead'ed".
TV and Comic Figure Lines Coming Fall 2011 from McFarlane Toys
April 01, 2011
Copyright 2011 TMP International, Inc.

As avid The Walking Dead enthusiasts, announcing The Walking Dead licensing deal at this year's Toy Fair in New York, was pretty exciting for us. For many media folks, retailers and other attendees, this was the highlight of Toy Fair. Combine the announcement with an incredible display of The Walking Dead comic book prototypes, and you're as a close to toy heaven as it gets for McFarlane Toys collectors.

So here the skinny on the deal--McFarlane Toys has secured two separate deals concerning the licensing rights of The Walking Dead. The first is with AMC to create action figures based on the original series that premiered on the network in October of last year. AMC's The Walking Dead is the most watched drama series in basic cable history. The Walking Dead had 49.1 million total viewers watching the show across all episodes (premiere and encores) over the six week season. The series was also nominated for a Golden Globe for Best Television Series -- Drama.

The second deal is with famed comic writer Robert Kirkman to produce action figures based on his hit comic book series The Walking Dead. Robert Kirkman is a New York Times bestselling author known for being the cultural zeitgeist of the comic book industry. Kirkman won the 2010 Eisner Award for Best Continuing Series for The Walking Dead. The series tells the story of the months and years that come after a zombie apocalypse. It follows a group of survivors, led by police officer Rick Grimes, who travel in search of a safe and secure home.

The comic goes on to explore the challenges of life in a world overrun by zombies who take a toll on the survivors, and sometimes the interpersonal conflicts present a greater danger to their continuing survival than the zombies that roam the country. Over time, the characters are changed by the constant exposure to death and some grow willing to do anything to survive. The comic book series was adapted into an AMC television series last October. The first season was released on DVD and Blu-ray on March 8, with the second season set to debut in Fall 2011.

Todd McFarlane and Kirkman have a history of comic book collaborations (Haunt, Spawn) and both are fans of the other's work, but this is the first action figure collaboration and both are totally stoked.

"Kirkman has created a world that is macabre and suspenseful with deeply drawn characters: both human and zombies," said Todd McFarlane, McFarlane Toys' creative force and CEO. "Working with the creative talents of Kirkman and AMC, we have planned figures lines that authentically represent both the television and comic series -- including mind-blowing details, likenesses and play action. We want to push the envelope so that the true essence of 'The Walking Dead' series is captured."

"I simply cannot contain my excitement over working with McFarlane Toys," said Robert Kirkman, creator of The Walking Dead comic-book series. "For nearly two decades McFarlane Toys have proven themselves to be leading the pack when it comes to making cool looking, innovative toys, and I'm thrilled that they're going to continue to do so with The Walking Dead.

This is the first time action figures have been produced and both lines are available to retailers this Fall as follows:

The Walking Dead Comic Book Series 1 releases September 2011, and contains four fan-favorite characters, including Officer Rick Grimes, Michonne, Zombie Lurker and Zombie Roamer.

November 2011 will bring the release of The Walking Dead AMC Television Series line-up of Deputy Rick Grimes, Daryl Dixon, Zombie Walker and Zombie Biter.

Now, if that isn't exciting enough for you, we have more tricks up our sleeves. Can you say tons of articulation and play action?! Each human figure includes multiple interchangeable accessories and several points of articulation for limitless possibility and customization. Each zombie figure features unique, gory, play action such as exploding heads and removable limbs. Figures are expected to sell for around $14.99 at retailers nationwide.
Redeema
Been neglecting my TV watching, including this show. Forgot just how great it was, but I caught up on the first three episodes so far, just need to watch the fourth and I'm golden. So good. Discuss.

Side note: I really debated dressing up as Rick Grimes for Halloween, but decided against it because I didn't think anyone would know who I was supposed to be, save for a couple of nerds.
bOb
QUOTE(Redeema @ Nov. 7, 2011, 10:34 PM) *
Been neglecting my TV watching, including this show. Forgot just how great it was, but I caught up on the first three episodes so far, just need to watch the fourth and I'm golden. So good. Discuss.

Side note: I really debated dressing up as Rick Grimes for Halloween, but decided against it because I didn't think anyone would know who I was supposed to be, save for a couple of nerds.

I will say the comic and the show do not follow the same storyline and I kinda like that though. I will say however even though I've read the comics I wouldn't mind if the show followed it exactly. Also Shane's annoying and he should get killed/bitten/etc.
Redeema
So, season 3 premiere? Awesome, right? Yeah, I agree. I can't get enough of the show, it's so good.
omega71
We get to see the Governor hopefully this Sunday, and Merle as well, which I am hoping to high ###### they do not make Merle the Governor because that would be incredibly retarded

Also, is anyone else watching American Horror Story? Season 2 is pretty awesome so far
bOb
I will say the show is def a lot more interesting than the snoozefest that was season 2. They seemed to have jumped ahead a ton if you followed the comics any. And yeah I realize this show is kinda loosely based on it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.