Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "The Social Network" - What do you think of it and Facebook?
DreamStation.cc Forums > General > General Discussion
cnc137

My wife & I finally watched "The Social Network" last night on Blu-ray.

If you use Facebook then you need to see this movie. It made me kind of not want to use it after seeing how it got so big. I really don't use Facebook that much and I enjoy Twitter more than it. I have all my tweets automatically going to Facebook and that is about the extent of my Facebook use.

I have had a Facebook account since back when you needed a college email address to join. I used my University of Akron alumni email address to get in to see what it was all about but never really used the site. I only have 5 total uploaded photos under my account and no videos. I also don't play games on Facebook even though I have been invited to Mafia Wars and Farmville multiple times.

We have a Facebook page setup for DreamStation.cc, but it is also fed information from Twitter and our RSS news feed. I occasionally add something directly to Facebook under our page, but not that often.

1.) Do you use Facebook?
2.) How many photos and videos do you have in the system?
3.) Do you play games on Facebook? Which ones?
4.) Do you ever see Facebook going away or becoming unpopular? Geocities and MySpace were riding high back in the day and look at them now.
5.) Do you like how Facebook is spreading around the web and you are able to sign in using your Facebook account at other sites and "Like" things?
6.) Would you like to be able to sign into DreamStation.cc using your Facebook account?

7.) What did you think of "The Social Network" movie?
8.) Do you think the movie got the story right or did Hollywood blow it out of proportion?
9.) Were the people that sued Facebook right or wrong?
Hucast
1.) Do you use Facebook?

Yeah kinda.

I don't know, some.

No.

4.) Do you ever see Facebook going away or becoming unpopular? Geocities and MySpace were riding high back in the day and look at them now.

Facebook IS unpopular. Everyone hates it. But, for the moment at least, it is ubiquitous, deeply entrenched and rather unfortunately necessary.

5.) Do you like how Facebook is spreading around the web and you are able to sign in using your Facebook account at other sites and "Like" things?

No. I keep Facebook on Facebook. I log in and out and don't let it communicate with the rest of the internet.

6.) Would you like to be able to sign into DreamStation.cc using your Facebook account?

No.

The movie was a whole lot of terrific. It made up for Benjamin Button and made me think Mark Zuckerberg was AWESOME. Until the next time I saw the real him on TV. And that dialogue!

8.) Do you think the movie got the story right or did Hollywood blow it out of proportion?

Some of the facts aren't entirely accurate, but overall it's about right, yeah? So a little from column A, a little from column B.

Again, a little of both. Yes, it seems fairly clear that Zuckerberg blew them off and stole their "idea". But it also seems likely he would have gotten there on his own eventually as he had already put the physical face books online for Facemash. And of course there's the fact that Myspace and Friendster already existed, the only original thought the Winklevosses had was exclusivity.
cnc137
Facebook IS unpopular. Everyone hates it. But, for the moment at least, it is ubiquitous, deeply entrenched and rather unfortunately necessary.

This is an interesting comment. I never thought about it that way. Facebook has become a necessary evil to some people, since they have all their photos and friends linked within the system. To move to a new system would be a very big undertaking.

A new site/service would have to offer some type of import functionality and Facebook would have to offer an export tool to make this easier. I don't see them wanting to offer that or make it easy to do.

Even if you exported everything and imported into something new you would somehow have to convince everyone to make the switch with you.

GeoCities went away, but all the sites were not linked together. They were individual sites and if your site went away you could always make a new one somewhere else and tell everyone about it. With Facebook if you move somewhere else the whole social networking part of the site is lost and people cannot see your latest updates unless you integrate Twitter or some other service to post to your Facebook wall from another site.

MySpace is slowly going away since it was offering a similar solution to Facebook, but the interface was a mess and more and more people started using Facebook. If you haven't visited http://MySpace.com lately you should, since it looks a lot different now, but I think it is too late.

Friendster ( http://www.friendster.com ), mentioned in the "The Social Network" movie is now a social gaming network and totally different than what it was back when I first looked at it before MySpace and then Facebook took over. I wonder where all the people went that were using Friendster as a social network site?
AlexMurphy
A good film, but I think nothing special except Facebook and its creator)
Hucast
QUOTE(AlexMurphy @ Sep. 7, 2011, 11:27 AM) *
A good film, but I think nothing special except Facebook and its creator)

lolwut?
sunfir66
1.) Do you use Facebook?
yes

several photos, one video

yes, Zombie pets and Pet Society with my niece

4.) Do you ever see Facebook going away or becoming unpopular?
no, and I base that on the fact that {out of all my friends} Google+ isn't catching on. Yes, I know it's in beta but out of my 350 people- less than 10 are on Google+ and I had only 1 additional response to an invitation. No one even commented on the post about it. Seems everyone got to FB now there isn't any reason to leave for a "new" one. I personally linked all my social networks but sometimes I get the redundant double posting because yahoo 'sees' my twitter post from myspace that was shared on fb via my kindle LOL I have to go in sometimes and clean it up but otherwise I love the convenience. I use myspace for music because it is the only place I found where you can listen to and create public playlists of full songs and videos. I usually only tweet when I have a reason to pimp something specific.

No, because I don't want my full name, linked back to my page, to appear everywhere. I also like some questionable things and don't want everyone to know it. I use Myspace or Twitter because I can log in as Sunfir66.

No, but I would with Myspace or Twitter

kinda boring

I assume Hollywood blows everything out of proportion

I'm sure there are people who have stolen better ideas, and got away with it, that should be considered in court over an internet social network...artists and writers and such. But I can understand why they did. I personally feel straight up plagiarism or copyright infringement is more serious than stolen intellectual property- in that intellectual property is hard to prove.

On a side note: I had paid for a "Gold" membership on Classmates before FB because I didn't have a college affiliation to log into FB with, and I wanted to get a hold of a friend who was on both. That was about 3 or 4 yrs ago. I got an email last week saying that I am getting a monetary settlement because I am involved in a class action lawsuit that Classmates lost. I'm not exactly sure what it entails, but I'll copy it in here so you can read it. It's around $10 which was what membership cost. I paid $3 because there was some special going on at the time, so I will only gain biggrin.gif It could be more depending on who claims their share.
Hucast
QUOTE(sunfir66 @ Sep. 9, 2011, 07:02 PM) *
kinda boring

EXPLAIN YOURSELF.
sunfir66
QUOTE(Hucast @ Sep. 10, 2011, 09:25 PM) *
EXPLAIN YOURSELF.

I thought the original idea of the match system or whatever it was dumb. What it has evolved into is not what they intended and that's what I got out of the movie. *Remember I am 40, have no cares about the social standing of college students and never wanted to be on fb in the first place. Since I'm there now, I have to admit it's great to keep in touch with family and friends but again that was not what it was intended for. The movie was basically {to me} boring. It just was. I can't help how I feel. Sorry ~~
Hucast
Ah, the ol' "I hate the thing the movie is about therefore I hate the movie" argument. I see. Thank you for clarifying.
sunfir66
QUOTE(Hucast @ Sep. 15, 2011, 04:32 PM) *
Ah, the ol' "I hate the thing the movie is about therefore I hate the movie" argument. I see. Thank you for clarifying.

In this case, yes. I can't say the same for movies like say, Traffic, or Precious. I hate drugs and abuse but those movies were interesting. This movie was 'educational' rather than 'enlightening'. I just didn't get a feeling of appreciation for any of the characters based on how they were portrayed. Tbh, I fell asleep during some of it. Hurry up and graduate already and go produce some quality films. tongue.gif
AliTheGreat
I don't use Facebook at all and I don't feel any inconvenience.
And the film is not so bad. At least it's a Fincher's film.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.