Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gamestop getting into the tablet game.
DreamStation.cc Forums > General > General Discussion
Hucast
This is a terrible idea and I hope it ruins them.
Redeema
One can only hope.
Knightsword
I bet they'll sell tons of them...

...To the homebrew/mod crowd, being android based an all.
bOb
Anything is possible with correct pricing and app support.
Hucast
QUOTE(Knightsword @ Sep. 13, 2011, 03:20 PM) *

Why? Why would anyone buy a Gamestop-branded tablet for homebrew when they could get the same thing cheaper (I'm assuming) without a Gamestop logo on it?
Knightsword
QUOTE(Hucast @ Sep. 13, 2011, 08:52 PM) *
QUOTE(Knightsword @ Sep. 13, 2011, 03:20 PM) *

Why? Why would anyone buy a Gamestop-branded tablet for homebrew when they could get the same thing cheaper (I'm assuming) without a Gamestop logo on it?

It really depends on the specs and price, high quality tablets are still pretty privy. If Gamestop plays it right and have it under $300, it'll sell like mad and then promptly be rooted and used for just about anything else. Though I can easily see them losing tons of cash on the actual
gaming service.

Also I hear rubbing alcohol is great for getting rid of crappy looking labels smile.gif
Hucast
If that's how it plays out you may be right, I was just assuming it would be an already existing tablet with Gamestop logo and some preloaded crap on it.

This same thing is kinda happening with certain publications trying to create their own tablet, marketing a tablet specifically for your content is just an inherently stupid idea. It'd be like EA releasing a Madden console instead of just releasing Madden for the hardware people already have. Actually, they could prolly get away with that, bad example, but you get the point.
cnc137

Grid10

Hopefully the GameStop tablet is like the Grid 10 tablet that has its own interface and apps, but can also run all Android Marketplace apps.

Nook Color

The Nook Color is also selling well and has its own apps store for apps that work well on the device. I am guessing they are just Android apps, but they have tested the popular ones to make sure they work before releasing them on the device. I don't think you can use normal Android apps on the Nook Color without hacking it, but I can't confirm that. The Nook Color is also only $250 at B&N and $179 refurbished on eBay from B&N. This makes it more appealing than most of the $500 tablets.

Amazon.com is also working on a rumored tablet that is supposed to be around $250. Will it play Android apps, since they have a Android Marketplace already on Amazon.com or will they make it have its own store?

I could see the GameStop tablet selling well around the holidays when parents and others are going into the store to buy something. They will promote it as a new gaming system that can do more and people will think it may be the best gaming tablet because it is sold by a video game store.

I don't think I will be buying any of these, since I already have a 1st generation iPad I bought on eBay used around last Christmas. Speaking of that, a 1st generation iPad 3G + Wi-Fi is going for $399 on Apple.com. This is still $150 more than a Nook Color and maybe Amazon's and GameStop's tablets, but it has a ton more apps for it.
bOb
Yeah I'll most likely be getting an iPad2 sometime next year. Xoom is pretty nice as well just needs more app support.
Knightsword
I have a nook color, and yes most if not all apps are android one. Though you only have access to Nook's app store. It is possible to root the nook color and give it even more android features and before the last two nook software upgrades even more sore. Because of that the nook color ended up being one of the better low end android tablets, then most dedicated ones.

As for the amazon droid app store, avoid it, they are pretty bad when it comes to paying developers their fair share, much the same way riaa treats its artists.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.