Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kindle Fire
DreamStation.cc Forums > General > General Discussion
Hucast
I almost posted this under the amazon thread thing since I saw you put it up, but seems like it should have its own thread.

What's everyone think? I think I might probably get one. I had been kinda sorta planning to get the next iPad, rumored for early next year, and I'd still like one, it still does a lot more than the Kindle, but $199? It's almost free. I don't care about a camera, I can live without any ports (I guess), the only downsides seem to be the browser that gives Amazon complete records of everything ever, and using their cloud. I don't want to be tied to the Amazon cloud. But even so, $199??? Yes.
Redeema
I was all ready to throw down my pre-order, but I think I'm going to hold off. I just got a 3DS, I'm probably going to throw down a PlayStation Vita, and a WiiU shortly after that. At this point I'm going to hold off.

That said, I like everything that it's capable of and I think it's a serious player in a somewhat crowded market that still only really consists of the iPad and a bunch of also-rans. Only the Samsung Galaxy Tablet has sold over a million units. Either way, I'm going to hold off for a little bit.
bOb
Yeah I'm going to wait and see what happens with this. I am looking to make a tablet purchase in January but I need to see what really shines. I'm still leaning towards iPad for app selection. I would rather have a Xoom but we'll see.
Hucast
The way I'm looking at it though, it's so cheap it's not a big deal to buy another, better tablet later. Especially since I would almost be surprised if there wasn't at least a slight price drop on iPad 3.

I think the best thing I've read about the Kindle Fire was actually in the comments on gizmodo or engadget or something. Someone pointed out that the Fire is purely for consuming media, the iPad (and other tablets I guess) can be used to create it/for productivity. And that's what I want. I want it integrated into CS5 and Final Cut and etc. But in the meantime, $199 to read/watch/twitter away from computer? That sounds reasonable. Especially since I got my 3DS months ago and have no immediate plans of getting a Vita, so that's all a non-issue at the moment.
Redeema
It's true it's all I would need it to be, but if I get a new phone that does nearly the same as this, it's kind of redundant. I like that it has cloud access and all that, I'd mostly be using it to watch a movie here and there, listen to a little music, read a book, and play the occasional casual game. Otherwise, I've got other things that could do what this does, without me having to burn another $200.
Redeema
Well, I'm getting one. It's a gift, otherwise I would have waited like I said before. Anyone know how the App Store works? They have free stuff daily, can I 'buy' the apps now to have queued up for when this thing shows up? Of course, I'll post thoughts as soon as I have some about the Fire after I get it.
Hucast
Boy, somebody doesn't know how gifts work.

I believe any apps you "buy" can be loaded on any of your devices.
bOb
I might be picking two of these up in January though for my kids.
Redeema
BTW Kindle Fire giveaway on their Facebook page.
Hucast
Pre-ordered. Estimated delivery Nov 21-29. What are you lookin at Red, or can you even check? Of course I went super saver shipping, so I guess that's actually anticipating a ship date pretty close to the 15th.
Hucast
Ack. Looks like Barnes & Noble is launching a Nook tablet on the 16th. $250, more RAM, faster processor, higher resolution. Thinking about cancelling my order now.
Redeema
I know it's Android and that's why people like it, but I'll stick with my Kindle Fire. According to the receipt I should be receiving mine about November 17th, since it was ordered with Prime. Less than two weeks wait now. Should be good times.
Hucast
The Kindle also runs on Android?
bOb
QUOTE(Hucast @ Nov. 5, 2011, 10:48 PM) *
The Kindle also runs on Android?

The Kindle fire does anyway.
Redeema
I meant the Nook Tablet.
Hucast
QUOTE(Redeema @ Nov. 6, 2011, 02:28 AM) *
I meant the Nook Tablet.

I know, you said that like Android was the Nook's big advantage, but they both run on versions of it.
bOb
QUOTE(Redeema @ Nov. 6, 2011, 03:28 AM) *
I meant the Nook Tablet.

It should the Nook Color does.
Redeema
Engadget Review is up now.
bOb
I read that one and the one from The Verge. I'm seeing some things I dislike and I won't be getting this until the Android community manages to load vanilla Android on it. Good news is the new Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0.1) source code was just released today. Once someone gets this ported over to it. I will consider purchasing.

P.S. I won an iPad2 at work I should have it in my hands by Thursday biggrin.gif
Redeema
Scathing 'review' of the Fire on Wired.com it's funny that everyone accuses Wired to be so bias towards Apple and I'll agree on this one point, everything and I mean everything gets compared to Apple, which is fair if you consider it the gold standard, but I don't know that it's fair in every situation. This just has disdain written all over it. Page 2 begins with 'The uppermost bookshelf is home to the Fire’s so-called Carousel' which may or may not have been intended have more than a hint of sarcasm. It's not 'so-called' it IS called. Stuff like that may not show bias, but it does show an unfair view of the device which may have been there from minute one. While certain devices may warrant a direct comparison (ie, HP's Touchpad, Samsung's Galaxy Tab, etc.) certain other devices don't compare for a multitude of reasons, price point, functionality etc. I mean if we compare every car to a $75,000 BMW M3 regardless of price is that fair? Hardly. It's why I dislike comparing games to one another in reviews, it's not fair. I try to look at other games in comparison, but objectively see the game for what it is.

Anyway, I got the word that my Fire has shipped and should be arriving at my door on Thursday. I'll have my thoughts after messing with it for a bit.
Redeema
Double post. My Fire came two days early AND they delivered it to the wrong house. Luckily my neighbor rang the doorbell at 7am to give it to me. Thank goodness for nice, honest neighbors. I didn't get a chance to mess with it other than to set up the Wi-Fi and my Amazon account. I'll play with it when I get home, I've got tomorrow to put it through some paces to see how it works. Looks and feels nice, though. Has a gorilla glass screen and a non-slip back and the device fits nicely into one hand.
sunfir66
Glad you're liking it so far; everyone I've talked to who got one is optimistic. I'm still using my regular Kindle daily for reading and loving it!! The only thing I have an issue with is how quickly the battery dies when I leave my wifi on. I stocked up on books the last time I went online with it, and I'll use my pc to browse and buy next time.
bOb
I was seriously considering this but went for the ipad2 instead. My wife and I are still looking for some cheap tablets for the kids next year though so we may still be in the market for them. Red can you confirm if videos can be sideloaded onto the tablet? By sideload I mean your own videos and stuff.
Redeema
I can't say with absolute certainty whether you can put your own videos on here or not, but seeing as how this thing doesn't even have a cable that attaches to your PC I'm gonna say you can't. The only possible way would be either uploading to the cloud to download to your Fire, or via a third party app. But, don't take my word for it, I don't buy videos and I don't really buy apps. I've just added the ones they give away for free everyday.
bOb
QUOTE(Redeema @ Nov. 21, 2011, 01:24 AM) *
I can't say with absolute certainty whether you can put your own videos on here or not, but seeing as how this thing doesn't even have a cable that attaches to your PC I'm gonna say you can't. The only possible way would be either uploading to the cloud to download to your Fire, or via a third party app. But, don't take my word for it, I don't buy videos and I don't really buy apps. I've just added the ones they give away for free everyday.

It's ok theyve managed to root it biggrin.gif I could figure something out. smile.gif
Redeema
The Blackberry Playbook may also be an option for you as they dropped the price to $200 for the 16GB version. Not sure how good it is in the grand scope of slates (or tablets if you prefer), but it's capacity is bigger, the screen is bigger and it may be more flexible out of the box. It seems that Amazon has put a scare in the other brands if they're dropping the price dramatically after over a million Fire's headed out to customers.
Hucast
Yeah, I went ahead and cancelled mine like I had said. Between all the sudden competition and more pressing concerns it just seemed like a bad idea. Having seen the reviews, I'm feeling pretty good about it. And b0b I believe sideloading is entirely possible, there's just hardly any room to do so.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.