Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Black Friday Shopping
DreamStation.cc Forums > General > General Discussion
Redeema
First of all, did anyone camp out? If not did you wait in line for any amount of time longer than 1 hour and for what? I camped out online.

Yesterday, I almost bit on the 250GB Xbox 360 bundle for $199 from Newegg. I decided against it and just bought a Kinect from Amazon for $99 instead. I also used up a gift card left over from months ago that I used to buy my 3DS to get a Move controller and Navigator from Best Buy. They were half off and since I have a few Move based games already, I figured I should finally get the controllers to play them. I got the games free and I have a couple more coming in, so with a substantial collection now and a good price there was no reason not to. Picked up another Move controller from Amazon when they dropped them to half price as well. Kindle Fire free month of Prime for the win. This morning I bought a Mr. Coffee K-cup coffee maker, I won a box of assorted Kcups in a contest a while back and picked it up because the price was finally around what I wanted to pay for one of these things, since I don't really drink coffee. It'll be nice for cocoa and tea, though. By the way, all of this was exactly $0 out of pocket between gift cards and Amazon credit that I get from a few different places and I've still got a little more to spare.

So, I'm taken care of, now there's still actual Christmas shopping to do. Bah.

Oh, also picked up the Marvel Pinball FX2 tables for 400 MSP from the Xbox LIVE sale going on.
bOb
Yeah I stayed home my wife was the one who wanted to go in all that. I think I think we will be avoiding it entirely next year. People just acting like wild animals.
Hucast
I went to Wal-Mart last night just to witness the insanity. It was, sadly, a bit calmer than last year thanks to the staggered sale times. I grabbed a couple cheap Blu-Rays I found lying around but that was it. Cops were there when I arrived, heard they were was a bunch of shoplifting before I got there and at least one fist fight over a movie.

I came home and got a bunch of stuff from Actual Pain's half off sale. It was much more satisfying.
omega71
I stayed home and boycotted big box and went small business shopping online instead. Most of the places here in Sac had online stores with pick up, so I supported locally instead of corporately.

I got most of my shopping done for my family, I have a few friends and my partner to shop for still, and will treat myself to some Steam games or something.
Erickarim
i got the basketball portable 44 basket and the celestron telescope from walmart.
under 120 dls and home by 10:20 lol
walnut100
I work retail when I go home for breaks (Thanksgiving, Christmas, summer etc)

Black Friday sucks. You have to do a ton of work setting up for it, pricing everything in the store, moving all your stock to the floor, unloading extra trucks, etc, and then if corporate screws up pricing nobody comes through the door and you're sitting in the store at 4 AM twiddling your thumbs wishing you were asleep

A whole lot of people at Sears are going to be fired very soon. They had a universally bad Black Friday, and its because the pricing was so far off its outrageous

And no, I didn't go shopping or anything. Black Friday usually has fairly normal sales, I don't understand the hysteria around it
bOb
QUOTE(walnut100 @ Nov. 28, 2011, 12:29 AM) *
I work retail when I go home for breaks (Thanksgiving, Christmas, summer etc)

Black Friday sucks. You have to do a ton of work setting up for it, pricing everything in the store, moving all your stock to the floor, unloading extra trucks, etc, and then if corporate screws up pricing nobody comes through the door and you're sitting in the store at 4 AM twiddling your thumbs wishing you were asleep

A whole lot of people at Sears are going to be fired very soon. They had a universally bad Black Friday, and its because the pricing was so far off its outrageous

And no, I didn't go shopping or anything. Black Friday usually has fairly normal sales, I don't understand the hysteria around it

I agree the better sales often come around December anyway with stores trying to get a last minute sale before the year-end.
Redeema
The only reason to hit any of the stores is for the doorbusters. The crazy deals only available to the first few in the door. Other than that everything else can/will be found elsewhere for the same price, if not cheaper.
sunfir66
QUOTE(Redeema @ Nov. 28, 2011, 10:06 PM) *
The only reason to hit any of the stores is for the doorbusters. The crazy deals only available to the first few in the door. Other than that everything else can/will be found elsewhere for the same price, if not cheaper.

The Fail Mart {I took my sister to} had the stupidest set up. 10pm Thursday "opening" in a 24 hr store was just dumb because people were already in the store lined up and shopping at the same time. At 10, there was a wave of "ticket holders" who all of the sudden just went for the front of the lines and chaos ensued. I was across the street in a Wendy's parking lot because not only was every spot in Fail Mart taken...there weren't even any behind the store or on the lawn surrounding. She went home empty handed, but ended up getting a 360 w/ Kinect (and 2 games they got to pick) for $199 +free overnight shipping off some website at midnight, then at 2 or 3am got a nice laptop (not sure of specs but my bf said it was a good deal) for under $400 again with free overnight shipping. I make my gifts and cards so I didn't need anything. Plus I'm going to AC this weekend to see 311 and I'm spending my money there wink.gif
Redeema
Fail Mart. I see what you did there. *sigh*

By the way, I already got my Kinect ordered up from Amazon last Thursday. I think I may spring for Amazon Prime, it really seems worth it, what with the Kindle Loaner program, super fast shipping and movies/TV shows to watch for free. Every episode of Wonder Years when I want to watch it? Hells yes, please.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.