Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does Anyone Buy Collectors Edition Games?
DreamStation.cc Forums > General > General Discussion
z36
Well I have been on a collectors edition game kick of late and does anyone one else buy these type of games. I do collect video games so I like the extra crap. (yes crap) I have been buying some older games like this and pick them up pretty cheap. Yes I know I have two copies of Two Worlds II listed because if you bought one you got another one free.

What do you think of these collectors edition games (waste of money, take up to much space, etc...) and I have noticed lately that there are more and more of them coming out. I guess they think gamers are made of money but that's why I buy them after the price goes down or used.

As of late over the last 2 or 3 months I have pick up:

Two Worlds II Royal Collectors Edition (PlayStation 3)
Two Worlds II - Velvet Game of the Year Edition (Xbox 360)
Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds: Special Edition (Xbox 360)
Gears of War 3 Epic Edition (Xbox 360)
Call of Duty: Black Ops Prestige Edition (Xbox 360)
BioShock 2 Special Edition (Xbox 360)
Killzone 3: Helghast Edition (PlayStation 3)
Brother's in Arms: ######'s Highway Limited Edition (Xbox 360)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Collector's Edition (PlayStation 3)
Halo Reach Legendary Edition (Xbox 360)
Fallout: New Vegas Collector's Edition (Xbox 360)
TRON: Evolution Collector's Edition (Xbox 360)
Halo 3 Legendary (Xbox 360)
Fallout 3 Collector's Edition (Xbox 360)
Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion Collectors Edition (Xbox 360)
Grand Theft Auto IV Special Edition (Xbox 360)

One other thing my brother cnc137 said I'm not 20 anymore but that the one thing nice being old no one can tell you what to do. laugh.gif Just like when you are young. unsure.gif He did like the remote control car I got with Call of Duty: Black Ops Prestige Edition.

These are a few other CE's I'm looking at but they are just to much money right now. I would really like the Modern Warfare 2 Prestige Edition with the real night vision goggles.

Modern Warfare 2 Prestige Edition
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II Platinum Edition
Fable III Limited Collector's Edition
Product Image Tekken 6 Limited Edition Wireless Fight Stick Bundle
Aliens Vs. Predator Hunter Edition
Product Image Batman: Arkham City Collector's Edition
TEKKEN Hybrid Limited Edition
Duke Nukem Forever: Balls of Steel Edition
LittleBigPlanet​ 2: Collector's Edition
Batman: Arkham Asylum Collector's Edition
Bioshock - Limited Edition
cnc137
I hope you got your wife something nice for Valentine's Day for putting up with all your video game collecting and http://www.freecycle.org adventures. wink.gif

Speaking of Collector Editions...

Did you borrow my Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Limited Edition?
z36
We do not do Valentine's Day. I told her I was going to send her flowers and she said why. We have not gave each other Valentine's Day gift's for 15 years. So I can go crazy on FreeCycle it cost nothing. I do give stuff away on FreeCycle also. Don't make it sound like all I do is get crap. Now if I could find someone giving away collectors edition games I would be golden. blink.gif

As for your Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Limited Edition I don't think so. I did buy one of those a few years ago. Yours is with your keys you can't find for your car. laugh.gif
bOb
I buy collector's editions but only whenever they're reasonably priced. If they're selling over standard game MSRP I do not even bother. The extra stuff inside is usually not worth it. (The exception being that Call of Duty car that has to be the best I've seen in a CE)
cnc137
Then you do have my Metal Gear Solid 4, since you are keeping my keys just to mess with me. tongue.gif
omega71
Really the only thing I buy CE's for is WoW.

I missed out on the Cata CE due to Gamestop ripping us off, but meh thats what we get for dealing with Gamestop.
z36
Reasonably priced is a big deal when I buy the CE's. The Call of Duty: Black Ops Prestige Edition is the one I paid the most for $65 and it was new. I really want it when I saw it.

Don't get me started on GameStop. I can't see how most of them are still in business. I only go there when I have to and even then I have a hard time doing it.
omega71
They are horrible, and it sucks because you have to go there sometimes for exclusives.

My Cata story is, my best friends dad usually preorders five copies of all of the CE's for him, his son, his son's girlfriend, me, and another friend.

Cata release, we go in, pick up our games, they dont have anything on record for us, mind you 95 bucks times five is about 475 bucks, anyway, the cashier takes the receipt that has the preorder and says its not on file, and that there is nothing they can do since they didnt save the five copies as they werent on file.

So there we stand, my friends dad out 475 bucks. We talk to the manager, he says there is nothing they can do, blah blah blah, here is some demos for free, you are basically screwed.

I worked retail for almost 19 years, I know bullcrap when I see it, so I ask him to go thru and see if there was any voids made on the day of when we preordered, he proceeded to tell me that was classified info and he could not do that. I laughed at him, got on my phone, called the home office, got a hold of his higher up, and asked him to do it.

Apparently, not even four minutes after my friends dad left the store, someone voided that whole transaction out, took the money, and went on with the day. The whole store ended up getting canned, including the manager.

The crappy part is, we still didnt get out CEs, and they couldnt refund the preorders, so he was still out 475 bucks, they offered him like a hundred dollars or so in store credit.

So yea, ###### Gamestop.
z36
Ok you win the worst GameStop story that I have ever heard. I still don't understand why they couldn't have done more. If anything they should have gave your friends dad $475 in store credit. It not like you would show up for 4 games you pre-ordered just for the heck of it.
omega71
QUOTE(z36 @ Feb. 17, 2012, 01:57 AM) *
Ok you win the worst GameStop story that I have ever heard. I still don't understand why they couldn't have done more. If anything they should have gave your friends dad $475 in store credit. It not like you would show up for 4 games you pre-ordered just for the heck of it.

They couldnt because the transaction was voided out, and even though the customer is always right, they arent right enough to get 475 bucks in store credit.
bOb
QUOTE(omega71 @ Feb. 16, 2012, 09:09 PM) *
QUOTE(z36 @ Feb. 17, 2012, 01:57 AM) *

They couldnt because the transaction was voided out, and even though the customer is always right, they arent right enough to get 475 bucks in store credit.

Yea but didn't they have evidence it was voided out the same day you had a print receipt in your hand? I'd still fight like ###### for that one sad.gif.
Hucast
But it is KINDA awesome that you got the whole store fired. Kinda. I guess. Actually most of them prolly weren't involved, right? Anyway F Gamestop. And if everything you said is accurate you basically have hard proof of theft. It might be too late now but I'm sure something could have been done.

I sometimes go for the CE. Perhaps not as much as I used to. The last one I bought was Starcraft 2. That was $100 and has the first game on a usb drive and comics and a dvd and a bunch of stuff I didn't really need in a huge box. Excluding stuff like Steel Battalion I believe it is the most I've paid for a game. Currently still hoping to find Zelda with the gold Wiimote for a reasonable price...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.