Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WiiU Discussion Thread
DreamStation.cc Forums > General > General Discussion
Redeema
So, uh, Wii U, huh? Discuss.

Wii U Deets #1

Wii U E3 Deets w/ Pics

Game|Life via Wired - 8 Biggest Wii U Games

I'd like to just say this now. I'm in day one. Doesn't matter if it has killer games or not besides New Super Mario Bros. 2 and Nintendo Land. You could probably also toss in Scribblenauts Unlimited. That's probably all I need. Also, why not just update the WaveBird? Why crib the exact shape from the 360? Weird. Otherwise I applaud the ability to now use two of those tablet controllers instead of the one they announced last year. Smart move.

bOb
QUOTE(Redeema @ Jun. 17, 2012, 02:41 PM) *
So, uh, Wii U, huh? Discuss.

Wii U Deets #1

Wii U E3 Deets w/ Pics

Game|Life via Wired - 8 Biggest Wii U Games

I'd like to just say this now. I'm in day one. Doesn't matter if it has killer games or not besides New Super Mario Bros. 2 and Nintendo Land. You could probably also toss in Scribblenauts Unlimited. That's probably all I need. Also, why not just update the WaveBird? Why crib the exact shape from the 360? Weird. Otherwise I applaud the ability to now use two of those tablet controllers instead of the one they announced last year. Smart move.

I'm in if it has some titles I'm really wanting. Like Pikmin 3, at launch. Oh and ZombiU is interesting enough.
Redeema
Pricing and launch date announced: Wii U Deets To sum it up two console versions, basic and deluxe (does one come with R.O.B. the Robot? It should.) Basic for $299 comes in white, with one game pad. $350 in black, bigger storage, one game pad, and NintendoLand. Coming November 18th. Is this too pricey? Is this about what we expected? How does this make you feel? You buying this on day one or will you wait to see what happens with the games and/or wait for a price drop?

I'm in day one. That's just how it's gonna be for me. Going deluxe, might as well get a game out of it.
bOb
QUOTE(Redeema @ Sep. 13, 2012, 11:20 AM) *
Pricing and launch date announced: Wii U Deets To sum it up two console versions, basic and deluxe (does one come with R.O.B. the Robot? It should.) Basic for $299 comes in white, with one game pad. $350 in black, bigger storage, one game pad, and NintendoLand. Coming November 18th. Is this too pricey? Is this about what we expected? How does this make you feel? You buying this on day one or will you wait to see what happens with the games and/or wait for a price drop?

I'm in day one. That's just how it's gonna be for me. Going deluxe, might as well get a game out of it.

I mean yea it is a little pricey. But I know how Nintendo is. They're most likely trying to sell this console with a profit margin instead of at a loss like many of the other consoles do their first year out. A lot of people don't realize they're basically packing a tablet device within the console as well. To me I consider it a fairly good deal and don't see the price coming down on this for at least a year. I really would like to see this console take off and not just like the Wii. I would like to see it dominate the market.

If we all remember correctly the Nintendo Wii had a hard time staying in stock. I'd say Nintendo did fairly well last generation and managed to come in 2nd place I'd say in terms of the console wars? I would really like to see the Wii U as a "this is all you will ever need out of a console no need to buy another one" kinda deal. I currently have all 3 of the previous generation consoles and I'll say they get used in this order right now. Xbox 360 for Netflix HD, some gaming, Nintendo Wii for 1st party titles, and the Playstation 3 plays my Blu-rays.

Well that's my rant. I'd love to buy this on day one but after all the cash I had to lay out this year on home stuff. I don't think I'll be able to join you Red. I can't wait to hear what you think of it once it's in your living room though!
Redeema
I'm trying to pay for the system with as many Amazon gift cards as I can get my grubby hands on. I'm up to $6 so far! I'll probably hit up the Coinstar machine and request an Amazon gift card. I think by November I can knock that price down by $100 at least.

The game lineup is at least a little impressive. Only problem is for those who have the other systems because a bunch of these games are already out for those. The real question I'd like to know is where in terms of power does this thing fit? Is this next gen or is this just an Xbox 360 upgraded? Does it touch the PS3 in terms of power? And when the NeXtBox comes out next year how far behind will this be? This is one of the only things I worry about. I know a lot of people are concerned with online play, etc. but to be honest I don't use my PS3 for online play, so I can pass on the Wii U for the same issue. If I want true multiplayer I'll play it on the 360.
bOb
I honestly want to say it's close to 360 in power but likely not up there with the PS3. Nintendo has a way of not really caring about specs much until they have to. I think the reason the other 2 haven't really announced anything about a new console yet is they really do have to find a gimmick to stick to the console basically. I mean what would be a selling point of the NEXTBOX? Better graphics? They'll have to do better than that to capture the hearts of people looking for an upgrade. I might actually just skip the 360x2 and PS4 consoles entirely. I mean for the amount of money you'd have to invest in the consoles I think you're better off just building a gaming pc. Steam makes this awesome considering you can just upgrade it down the road and you don't have to buy a ton of software since you'd already have some.

Nintendo Wii U on the other hand offers an interesting take on tv-tablet integration.
Either way I'm still interested to see how Sony and Microsoft are going to respond to Wii U's direction.
Redeema
Well, I suppose you can say what you want to about the Wii, but it changed gaming completely. When they showed off the Wii for the first time, Sony knew immediately that they were going to have to retaliate. Whether it was really planned or not, it was never fully used. Even the Move was half baked and is barely used. The Kinect on the other hand has worked out pretty well, even if it's only really good for dancing games.
Hucast
I own a Virtual Boy, so yeah, I'ma get one of these sooner or later. Price wise I can't decide if I'm surprised or not. Using the name "Wii" does imply it'll be cheap so $299-$350 is more than you expect, but then you consider that their basically including a tablet that's the same price as the console and it makes sense. And didn't the 360 launch at $399 and the PS3 was like $599 or whatever? They're still on the low end of the spectrum I suppose.
bOb
I do like my Wii though and I never regretted buying it like I did some other consoles lol. Oh and off topic but I found a nickel inside of my PS3 today. My 4 year old did it awhile back!
Redeema
So, Walmart is taking 'preorders' for the deluxe Wii U as of this past Sunday. You actually put it on layaway, but that reserves a system for you on launch day. You put 10% down and pay a $5 fee. Hopefully the employees at your local store know how to reserve it and/or hopefully they still have them. I locked one in today. Since Amazon isn't doing preorders, it's probably my only chance living in a city that only has a Target, Walmart, and Kmart. We have a Gamestop, but I'll assume those may be all accounted for not to mention, I'm not interested in giving that shady store my money.

Either way, I guess I hope to have a system at launch this time around. I hope Newegg does a deal on pre-orders like they did a couple weeks ago that was $10 off upcoming games including Wii U titles. That or a buy two get one free like normally happens this time of year.
Hucast
Currently downloading system updates...
bOb
QUOTE(Hucast @ Dec. 26, 2012, 09:01 PM) *

How long has it been so far?
Hucast
QUOTE(bOb @ Dec. 27, 2012, 09:48 PM) *
QUOTE(Hucast @ Dec. 26, 2012, 09:01 PM) *

How long has it been so far?

About four days.
bOb
Lol that's odd, mine took about an hour.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.