Highest Rated Sports Videogame Of This Console Generation. Record 3.2 Million Units Sold-Through In Less Than One Week Almost 350,000 Fans Connect To FIFA Ultimate Team Early Web-Start.
REDWOOD CITY, Calif.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:ERTS) today announced the most successful launch in EA SPORTS history as EA SPORTS™ FIFA 12 hit store shelves and online retailers across the globe. Critical accolades have rolled in for the highest rated sports videogame of this console generation^, and fans around the world have already played more than 200 million minutes of online games of FIFA 12.*
Based on internal estimates since its September 27 launch in North America and September 30 worldwide, FIFA 12 has sold-through an estimated 3.2 million units across all consoles worldwide**, making it the biggest launch in the history of sports videogames and the biggest videogame launch of 2011 to date. These are preliminary EA estimates. EA plans to provide further information regarding sales of FIFA 12 during its earnings call for the second quarter of fiscal year 2012.
“FIFA 12 is a stunning achievement by our team at EA Canada,” said Andrew Wilson, Executive Vice-President of EA SPORTS. “The massive FIFA online community has overwhelmingly connected to the new live services in the game, including EA SPORTS Football Club, and we intend to keep them engaged all season long as FIFA 12 follows the heartbeat of the football season.”
Other notable achievements from the game’s record-breaking launch include:
- FIFA 12 sell-through is estimated to be up approximately 23 percent over last year’s record-breaking launch.
- FIFA 12 for iPhone and iPad has already sold 879,000 units, and achieved the Top Grossing App for iPhone on 30 worldwide storefronts.
- October 1, 2011 was the busiest day for online gaming in EA SPORTS history. Fans registered more than 10 million EA SPORTS game sessions, including almost eight million game sessions of FIFA 12.
- Almost 350,000 fans engaged in the early web-start for FIFA 12 Ultimate Team via easportsfootball.com, and more than 14 million trades have already occurred within the Ultimate Team mode. For the first time ever, FIFA Ultimate Team is available on disc for fans to enjoy the thrill of building, managing and playing with their ultimate team of football superstars.
- The launch of FIFA 12 also saw the introduction of EA SPORTS Football Club – the heartbeat of FIFA 12. Millions of fans around the world have already pledged their allegiance to their favourite team through the Support Your Club feature. To date, the clubs with the most supporters*** are:
Manchester United – 241,767 supporters
FC Barcelona – 144,709 supporters
Arsenal – 131,305 supporters
Real Madrid – 126,806 supporters
Liverpool – 118,182 supporters
Chosen “Best Console Game” at Gamescom and winner of the prestigious E3 Game Critics award for “Best Sports Game” at E3 2011, FIFA 12 is the highest rated sports videogame of this console generation with a Metacritic rating of 92 on the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and 91 on Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system, including perfect scores from leading media outlets like 1UP, USA Today, GamePro and The Guardian. IGN (9.5 out of 10) called FIFA 12 “amazing” and Everyeye.it (9.5 out of 10) wrote, “FIFA 12 is simply the best football simulation ever made.”
FIFA 12 brings to the pitch the game-changing new Player Impact Engine, and revolutionary gameplay innovations inspired by the real-world game, including all-new Precision Dribbling, Tactical Defending, and Pro Player Intelligence. Plus, new live services and breakthrough social experiences like EA SPORTS Football Club and FIFA Ultimate Team deepen fans’ connection to the real-world game, their favorite club, and their friends, rivals and millions of other players around the world in the massive FIFA online community.
FIFA 12 is localized into 18 languages and available in 51 countries. It is available for the PlayStation®3, Xbox 360®, PC, Mac, Wii™, PlayStation®2, Nintendo 3DS™, PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system, iPhone®, iPad™, and iPod® touch. The game is available for digital download on PC atwww.origin.com.
FIFA 12 is rated E for everyone by the ESRB and Pegi 3+. For the latest news on FIFA Soccer 12 join more than six million fans in the EA SPORTS FIFA community at http://www.facebook.com/easportsfifa or follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/easportsfifa.
EA SPORTS is one of the leading sports entertainment brands in the world, with top-selling videogame franchises, award-winning interactive technology, global videogame competitions and breakthrough digital experiences. EA SPORTS delivers personal access to the emotion of sports through industry-leading sports simulation videogames, including Madden NFL football, FIFA Soccer, NHL® hockey, NBA JAM basketball, NCAA® Football, Fight Nightboxing, EA SPORTS MMA, Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® golf, and EA SPORTS Active. For more information about EA SPORTS, including news, video, blogs, forums and game apps, please visit www.easports.com to connect, share and compete.
^ Source - www.metacritic.com as of October 3, 2011
*according to internal data sources as of October 2, 2011
** according to internal sales data as of October 2, 2011
*** according to internal data sources as of October 3, 2011
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.